Hometown: Jacksonville, FL
Year I became a Gator: 2011
Department: Physical Therapy
Mentor: Gordon S. Mitchell, PhD
Research focus: My research focuses on molecular mechanisms of neuroplasticity within the neural network controlling breathing. My dissertation work is investigating circadian regulation of plasticity triggered by acute intermittent hypoxia.
What drives me: My curiosity around breath and movement, the resilience of the brain and body, and the capacity for neuromuscular plasticity drives me. My goal and hope is that the contributions I make in basic science will inspire and guide translational efforts to restore breathing in people living with conditions where ventilation is compromised.
What I like most about the BREATHE Training Program:
- Supportive and transparent mentors
- Motivated and creative colleagues/ BREATHE T32 members
- Abundant opportunities to interact with and present research to leaders in the field at BREATHE sponsored conferences and seminars
Awards & achievements since being on the T32:
- Caroline tum Suden/Frances A. Hellebrandt Professional Opportunity Awards by American Physiological Society.
- First author manuscript published in the American Journal of Physiology- Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology.
What I like about Gainesville: I love the local music, the farmer’s markets and yoga community here. I love floating down the springs and hiking the nature trails in and around Gainesville.
Why I chose BREATHE at the University of Florida: Dr. Mitchell’s research aligns with many of my research interests including the nervous system, physiology and breathing. His recruitment to the University of Florida for his expertise in respiratory research and formation of the Breathing Research and Therapeutics Center made the University of Florida BREATHE program an ideal environment for me to pursue my PhD.
What makes the BREATHE Training Program unique? The multitude of networking and training opportunities and the intellectually challenging and interactive atmosphere.
What I do for fun: I like to work out, listen to music, be outside and write.